Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Derek Fisher Sticks with Lakers

After flirting with the Axis of Evil in Miami, Derek Fisher (number 27 on the Big Board) decided to return home to the Lakers with a 3 year deal worth around $10 million. Fisher will be after the 6th ring of his underrated, remarkable career. Let's put all our cards on the table here: I hate Derek Fisher. Hate him. This may come as a surprise given my appreciation of little players and guys who come from small schools but I always make an exception for Derek Fisher. It's not because of the ridiculous number of big time, clutch shots he hit over the course of his career nor just the simple fact that he plays for the Lakers (both valid reasons for not liking someone). I hate Derek Fisher because he is a cheap, borderline dirty player and yet he seems like a nice guy so everyone gives him a pass. Let me tell you something: you can be a hecka nice dude off the court and still be a toolbag on it. Fisher takes cheap shots whenever he can, complains to the refs with reckless abandon, and is one of the league's preeminent floppers. You can respect his work ethic and appreciate the absurdity that a guy of his size, athletic ability, and skill level has managed to stay relevant in the NBA for 15 years and still recognize that he a cheapshot artist. I'm sure I'd love to have him on my team but I hate the pass he gets from every single member of the media. Anyway, this is another good signing for the Lakers who seem to always make the right move. Fisher will probably have a lesser role this year with the signing of Steve Blake, but all that really means is he'll be fresh for the playoffs when he will inevitably have another great year. So frustrating.

Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment